Start with this basic recipe, and add one of several different ingredients for a variety of different muffins.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Step 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Step 2Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be lumpy. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups.
- Step 3Variations: Blueberry Muffins: Add 1 cup fresh blueberries. Raisin Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped raisins. Date Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped dates. Cheese Muffins: Fold in 1 cup grated sharp yellow cheese. Bacon Muffins: Fold 1/4 cup crisp cooked bacon, broken into bits.
- Step 4Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
Per Serving:182 calories; protein 3.3g 7% DV; carbohydrates 29.7g 10% DV; fat 5.6g 9% DV; cholesterol 17.1mg 6% DV; sodium 233.4mg 9% DV.